How to Open, Edit and Save Your Grant Application
A compatible version of Adobe Acrobat Reader, a free desktop software program, is required for completing and submitting the FY21 Formula Funding Grant Application. Please use the following guide to avoid issues with editing and saving your PDF application forms:
Anytime you download a new document (including the application and all appendices), save it to a designated location on your computer or network before you begin editing. Always work from the most recently saved version. Note that once you've downloaded and saved a document, you will not be able to access it through the links in the grant application. (These links will always take you to a new, blank file.)
Download the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Go to https://get.adobe.com/reader/
- Click "Install Now" and follow the prompts to complete installation.
Always open PDF forms in Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Go to the location on your computer or network where the PDF form is saved.
- Right click the file name and go to the Open With option. You will see Adobe Acrobat Reader appear in the next menu. Select it.
Set Adobe Acrobat Reader as the default PDF owner
Your web browser is often the default application for opening PDF files. To avoid issues with editing and saving your PDF documents, DO NOT USE this default web browser. Instead, set Adobe Acrobat Reader as your default PDF application:
- Go to the location on your computer or network where a PDF is currently saved.
- Right click the file name and go to the Open With option. Select Choose default program OR Choose another app in the next menu.
- A dialog box will appear. Choose Adobe Acrobat Reader or Adobe Acrobat, and check "Always use this app to open .pdf files." Then click OK.
Multiple users completing a PDF application form
If more than one person is filling out a grant application PDF form, we recommend that the most up-to-date version of Adobe Acrobat Reader be used by each person to avoid compatibility issues. Using different versions of Adobe Acrobat Reader may cause submission and/or save errors – even if one person's version is individually compatible.
Adobe Acrobat Reader vs. Adobe Acrobat Standard/Professional
Adobe Acrobat Standard/Professional (Version 10 or later) may be used in place of Adobe Acrobat Reader when completing the grant applications forms. However, only the free Adobe Acrobat Reader software is needed.