Resources for parents and caregivers of young children
Protecting your family
- The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to the virus.
- Practice healthy habits to keep your family, friends, and neighbors safe.
- Know the symptoms.
- If your child has been exposed, or you are concerned about your child's symptoms, call your pediatrician or health clinic.
- What to do if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Find the answers to more frequently asked questions about children and COVID-19.
Health and learning at home
- Encourage your child to be a Healthy Hero. Download our free, printable flyer and activity sheet.
- The CDC offers tips for talking to kids about COVID-19.
- From the creators of Ready Rosie, Healthy at Home is a free toolkit with tips and resources for parents and caregivers.
- Age-based tips to help juggle parenting and working from home
Safety at school and child care
- Learn how DHEC is guiding schools and child care providers with these frequently asked questions for parents.
- Find an open child care center near you.
- Check your eligibility for free First Steps 4K.
- Find a free preschool program for your 3- or 4-year-old child.
- A child care decision making tool.
- A back to school checklist for parents, guardians, and caregivers.
Family services and support
- Contact your local First Steps to find out how we can help you and your family get connected to the resources you need.
- Call 211 to speak with a community resource specialist in your area.
- Emergency assistance is available to renters affected by shutdowns, closures, layoffs, reduced work hours or unpaid leave due to the COVID-19 health crisis.